Wednesday 2 April 2014

Beauty and the beach

We all want to look good on the beach even though we feel we have to look au naturele in such an environment. When we are sunbathing and swimming we really don't want panda eyes when we emerge from under the water or have our minimal make up break down in the heat and humidity! So with this in mind I thought it would be good to address some simple questions you may have whilst enjoying your holiday.

Q: Is it wrong to wear make up to the beach?

A: I don't think it is! Obviously you need something with an SFP and there are many tinted moisturisers that fit the bill.  It's best to avoid anything heavy as this will only break down and look unnatural anyway. All I do is fill in my eyebrows as they are sparse and just giving them a little attention makes all the difference to how you look and feel. I use Kiko eyebrow marker in 02 (£5.90) to fill in my brows .. the difference it makes by framing my eyes is amazing! Also a sweep of waterproof mascara does wonders! That's all I ever use during the day .. apart from my sunscreen of course. However if your brows are in good shape to stop them being bleached by the sun you could try covering them with a waxy stick sunscreen (nothing wrong with using lip salve) to prevent this.

Q: My hair gets dry and frazzled by the sea water, chlorine and the sun .. what can I do?
A: One of the best products I have found to help prevent further deterioration of your hair is Philip Kingsley Swimcap (£20). You apply it prior to going in the sun or swimming .. it's literally like wearing a swimcap!  Containing UV protection, Swimcap cream protects against the damaging effects of the sun which leads to hair breakage and colour fading, making it a holiday essential for healthy, beautiful hair. It also protects against the drying and damaging effects of both chlorinated and salt water, as well as discoloration from swimming pool water. Swimcap deeply conditions your hair as you wear it, leaving it in better condition than before. For use on wet hair.  When you wash your hair you really do notice the difference! I use sulphate free shampoo like Ouidad Climate Control defrizzing shampoo (£12.50) and conditioner or Bumble and Bumble Color minded sulphate free shampoo (£23) and conditioner as I have coloured hair. It left my hair feeling soft and hydrated which is a huge plus for my frizz prone locks! I also always use Josie Maran pure argan oil ($48) on wet hair, combing it through and leaving it for twenty minutes before blow drying. It leaves my hair feeling baby soft.

Q: I want to look glowy not sweaty in the evenings .. how can I still look sexy?

A: Even while wearing sunscreens we start to get a lovely healthy colour after prolonged exposure so we want to make the most of it.  I suggest you don't apply too much make up but just opt for a tinted moisturiser or BB cream (my fave Diorskin nude £30) where needed .. don't use any powder unless you really have to. A little eyeshadow, eyeliner and mascara to make your eyes pop, cream blush and some lip gloss and you're good to go. Oh and don't forget your brows .. but don't overdo them .. you want to look as though you look that effortlessly fabulous every day!

For a finishing touch .. if your face (and don't forget your neck) is still looking a little pale compared to the rest of your body you could try dusting over with a light bronzer .. only applying it to the areas where you would normally catch the sun .. try Mac Mineralise .. I use Medium Dark or Medium Deep applied with Bobbi Brown's face brush (£29.50).  It gives your skin a beautiful soft glow.

Remember to always use a sunscreen on your face and body and be mindful that it wears off during the day and whilst swimming.  A hat is also essential and to keep your skin glowing long after your holiday is over, make sure to use a good body moisturiser every day to keep your skin soft and healthy looking.

Tip - don't wear perfume in the sun .. it can make your skin more sensitive .. save it for the evening.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Follow my facebook page for my travels and related articles ..https://www.facebook.com/TravelsWithMyFlipFlops

No comments: